Saturday, May 22, 2010

Wanderings and wonderings

I've been realizing lately how much impact the time spent outside my studio can have on my work in the studio.
When I lived at the Jersey shore, long walks on the boardwalks (that's Ocean Grove at sunrise in the photo at left) or on the sand provided a way to unwind and find inspiration and insight at the same time. I've come to think of this practice as wanderings and wonderings.
More recently, my wanderings have been mostly around campus. Luckily for me, it is a pretty, park-like setting, complete with small wetlands and nature trails. Whether on my own or with a companion, a half hour in the air seems to clear the head and heart enough to make the next few hours in the studio more productive. At the beach, I am an inveterate shell seeker; here I take a small bag and collect bits of trash that invariably litter the trails. Though I like the idea of providing a small service to the space that sustains me, I've begun to notice even more how it mirrors the meditative practice of seashell hunting. While my left brain is on the lookout for bits of paper, plastic or other garbage, my right brain gets some time to unwind and stretch its legs.
So, is there anything you do outside of the studio that you consider an important part of your overall practice?  To what do you turn when you feel the need to clear your head or take a brief but restorative break?

No comments:

Post a Comment